jueves, julio 07, 2011

Then I killed to stay alive!



I am Cuauhtémoc, proud and noble,
leader of men, king of an empire civilized
beyond the dreams of the gachupín Cortés

This is the foundation film of chicano filmmaking. It's based on the epic poem of the same name, or "Yo soy Joaquin" written by Rodolfo "Corky" González as part of the chicano movement of the 60s in the United States.

Here the poem.

And taratáaa, the video:





And a beautiful fragment, that resumes my own existential angst towards choosing how to live my life:

And now! I must choose between the paradox of
victory of the spirit, despite physical hunger,
or to exist in the grasp of American social neurosis,
sterilization of the soul and a full stomach.

And some more... oh what a beautiful poem:

I am
The black-shawled
Faithfulwomen
Who die with me
Or live
Depending on the time and place.
I am faithful, humble Juan Diego,
The Virgin of Guadalupe,
Tonantzín, Aztec goddess, too.
I rode the mountains of San Joaquín.
I rode east and north
As far as the Rocky Mountains,
And
All men feared the guns of
Joaquín Murrieta.
I killed those men who dared
To steal my mine,
Who raped and killed my love
My wife.
Then I killed to stay alive.

0 Invaluables opiniones:

Publicar un comentario

<< Home


Locations of visitors to this page